In this post we will be sharing our favorite recipe for making a simple whole roasted chicken at home. Each time we make this meal for company, our guests are so impressed with how beautiful and delicious it is.
Our Roast Chicken Inspirations
Many years ago Starla got a video tape from Andrew Zimmer called “Cook Like a Parisian” where he shares many traditional Parisian dishes. Among the many recipes was the classic French roasted chicken. Watching that chic woman effortlessly make this beautiful roast chicken in her little Parisian kitchen, without making a mess, was mesmerizing.
Another one of our favorite’s, Nigella Lawson, always roasts two chickens at a time. She’s one of those greedy cooks that wants leftovers for a midnight snack. I love that.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. When you click on our affiliate links, we will make a small commission at no extra cost to you! It’s a simple and convenient way to support the sisters of Life Full and Frugal! To read our full affiliate disclosure click here.
The Perfect Pans for Simple Whole Roasted Chicken
Sourcing Your Chicken
This recipe for simple whole roasted chicken is for any budget. If you can afford a locally sourced, farm raised chicken, by all means use that! If you can only afford the $.98 a lb chicken from your local Aldi, it will be delicious as well! That is the beauty of this recipe. We have tried it both ways many times over the years, always with success.
Tips and Tricks
Recipe for Simple Whole Roasted Chicken
Simple Whole Roast Chicken Recipe Variations
Uses for Leftover Chicken
Simple Whole Roasted Chicken
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Dutch oven
- Measuring spoons
- 1 Medium Roasting Chicken (4-5 lbs) Thawed to room temp, rinsed, dried well
- 5-6 Carrots
- 2 Onions
- 3 Large potatoes or 4-6 smaller potatoes
- 1 stick Room temperature butter plus extra if desired
- 5-6 Cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 2 tsp Dried parsley
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- First, cut your potatoes into 1-1.5 inch chunks, place them into the bottom of your roasting pan. Cut your carrots into thirds and then into sticks, then add those to the pan. Next, Cut 1 1/2 onions into thin half moons and add those to the pan. Add a tsp of the spice mix to the top of the veggies. Add the garlic cloves and the reserved 1/2 onion (roughly chopped) to the cavity of the chicken. Pour a tsp of the spice mix into the cavity as well. Next, place the chicken on top of the veggies in the pan, breast side up. Spread the softened butter over the top of the chicken, then sprinkle the remaining spice mix over the top. Extra butter can be added to the sides, over the veggies, if desired.
- Lastly, place the lid on the pan, and put it in the oven for 1.5 hours. At the end of the 1.5 hours, take off the lid and place the pan back in the oven for 10-20 minutes to make the skin crispy and golden.
- When you take the chicken out of the oven, allow it to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serve and enjoy!