So there is a trend in Europe to embrace all things Scandinavian, and one of those trends is hygge, a Danish word for comfort. I listened to a podcast from Tea and Tattle which I loved. But what I found really interesting was that I had been practicing this concept for quite a long time without thinking anything of it. I have been longing for beauty my whole life and those small, special luxuries that make a girl feel rich. I am convinced it is not diamonds that are a girl’s best friend, but simple luxuries that make a girl feel pampered, and indulgent.
Over the years I have honed my list down to what I think is essential for affordable luxury. Here is my list and where I buy these products. These simple luxuries make wonderful gift ideas for yourself or the women in your life!
1. Shugar Works Soap– these large, indulgent bars of soap are made from coconut and palm oil and are scented with essential oils and naturally derived perfumes. They are made in California. They can be found at the Dollar Tree. For comparison, you would pay at least $4 for a bar of soap of similar size and packaging at TJ Maxx. You can also find Yardley of London Soap at Dollar General. These are smaller bars, but lovely scents, and so cheap!
2. High quality/high thread-count sheets– Okay I have to admit I look for these at Goodwill and Mercies Unlimited our local thrift store, where I have found amazing sets, but T.J. Maxx has great deals and Ollies too.
3. A Teapot and Teacups– Thrift stores, antique shops, Grandma’s, and Garage sales. I have several from Goodwill and from friends and family.
4. Good Tea or Coffee– I am a tea girl. My favorite is Trader Joe’s Indian Chai $2.99 a box for twenty sachets.
5. Essential Oils– Lavender, Patchouli, Grapefruit, Orange, Tangerine, and much more. I buy these from Mountain Rose Herbs, an online company that has the best oils for the best prices. There is no middle man to pay, or pyramid scheme to pay into. I also buy Now Oils for my diffuser from my local health food store.
6. Lotions and Oils– You can find unrefined Coconut oil from Aldi’s-one pint for $4.49. My favorite lotion is from Shea Moisture. I love the Rose scented body lotion, as well as Frankincense and Myrrh. This line is found at Target, Walgreens, and Walmart in the natural section, and costs between $8.99 to $9.99.
7. Poetry and Prose Books– Okay, I know I am making someone laugh!!! Anything by Byron, Tennyson, Kahil Gibran or the Persian poet Rumi. I buy used copies of poetry online, or from Half Price Books.
8. Anthology of Love Letters– By Michelle Lovric- you can find this on Amazon for a penny, plus $3.99 shipping. It is a beautiful, romantic, book!! Indulge the inner woman’s longing for words!
9. Epsom Salts– Such a cheap, inexpensive luxury! Add this to a hot bath with some essential oils and candle light and create your own private spa at home!
10. Cd’s or Music-Stacey Kent’s French album Raconte-moi, Melody Gardot My One And Only Thrill. I bought both Cd’s used on Amazon for under $8.00 a Cd. If you are really frugal listen to the albums on YouTube.
11. Chocolate– Aldi carries a brand called Choceur which is made in Austria. The Dark Chocolate bar is absolutely to die for and is only $1.99!!!
12. Votive Candles– One hundred candles from Walmart for $3.99. Candlelight creates a romantic mood, what ever the season.
I think this is a great way to pamper yourself inexpensively. We would love to hear about any products that you have found that are affordable and of high quality! Happy pampering!